Died January 25, 2003
I only know you through the pain of other people and
the picture of you and your sisters
that looks just like a picture in my own album.
From the tears of the girl who led you on in Sophomore year,
just discovering her sensuality, but too young and careless
to really mean it. Your death has left her wary.
Less powerful for fear of losing chances to say she's sorry,
the way she did when you crashed your little plane
into the Manuahi Ridge on your first solo flight.
I only know you from the fragile tree
the school planted in the courtyard.
I imagine they mean for it to grow tall
and majestic, like a legacy should,
but this tree looks more like you -
teenage and skinny and
not ready yet.
I don't know why, but I just think about him sometimes. I never even met him.
1 comment:
I like this Jenny...it's really genuine in its simplicity...I haven't really thought about him as much as I've thought about the impact its had on that girl you mentioned and how she's never been the same person since...one person can really change the course of someone's life whether for the better or worse...but can only tragedy have that kind of impact or can we too, while living, change someone's life?
thanks for making me think :)
Post a Comment